Summer is coming and it's time to get those pins looking pretty! If you're feeling a little pale and pasty after a long season of winter woolies, then it's time to add a summer glow to your skin.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for a perfectly real looking false tan, every time!
1. A day or two beforehand, exfoliate your skin from head-to-toe to remove any dead or dry skin cells from the surface. Moisturise well after this. (see my previous blog post about "Baby soft skin" for more on this)
2. Shower beforehand, and don't apply body lotion, as this may block the self tanning ingredients from penetrating the skin properly (resulting in a patchy, streaky tan). If you have a dry skintype use a self-tan with built in moisturiser. If your skin is more oily, a gel or water-based formula will work well.
|There are great choices on the market now for dry skins.|
|A good budget range|
4. Use gloves or a mitt to avoid tangoed hands, and apply carefully to your hands at the very end.
You can lightly rub over areas that tend to streak, such as knees, underarms, elbows, ankles etc with a dry cotton pad (or an old soft towel) to blend.
|Face self tanner and bronzer by Lancome|
5. On the face, first cleanse, tone and use a light moisturiser. Use a seperate self-tan suitable for the face. Some body tans can be used on the face, but most are designed only for the body and may block pores or cause irritation on the face. At the end, use a dry cotton pad and rub over the edges of the face and the eyebrows etc. to prevent build-up.
6. Wash hands carefully, but try not to remove all the tan from the backs of the hands.
7. For a finishing touch, use bronzing powder to add extra glow and shimmer to the chest & shoulders, and down along the centre of the legs & arms for a slimming effect.
Note: To fix a streak or dark patch, use cotton pads soaked in a strong toner with alcohol, and moisturise well.
Also, the best way to get a nice deep colour is to apply it a couple of times over a couple of days, rather than piling on lots in one go.